Location: Hackney, London
GKR Scaffolding has won the scaffolding contract for this significant project. This much needed new academy in Hackney will provide new opportunities and facilities for children in East London.
The Bridge Academy in Hackney will specialise in music and maths. The mixed secondary school will have 1150 places for years 11-18.
Designed by Building Design Partnership (BDP), the iconic six storey horseshoe shaped building will be located in one of London’s more disadvantaged areas. This mixed non-denominational academy will include a 450 seat performance theatre and dance studio as well as an outdoor amphitheatre which will be built above the ground floor car park.
The design incorporates an inclined ETFE façade to the central atrium and the central library is suspended from an exposed hooped tubular truss over the open plan central common user space. A separate sports hall will be built up to half its depth below ground and will incorporate a sports pitch on its roof.
Scope of Works
- 4,000m2 of double width splayed external independent to the perimeter of the building
- 2nr Hoist Run off towers and Loading Gantries
- 2,500m of handrail protection off slab and steels
- 5,000m3 of internal birdcage scaffold to Atrium partly hanging form roof steels
- 900m2 Intenal Independent to Performance Hall
- 400m2 of Internal Independent scaffold to Sports Hall